Holton is about 30 miles north of Topeka and has became the Jackson county seat in 1858. The present courthouse (the second one) was built in the center of the town square in 1921. At one time, Holton city ordinance required the walks around the square to be made of pine lumber 4 foot wide. In 1897, all sidewalks were to be of brick or iron. In 1908, drinking fountains were placed on each corner of the square for “man and beast.” Holton has a long and colorful history and is a vital thriving city of about 3400.